We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set certain functional and advertising cookies to help us improve our site. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
You can click "Accept all cookies" below to accept use of all cookies on this website, or select "Manage cookies preferences" to choose which cookies we can use. For more information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie Notice
O SHAPED SKILLS
In today’s legal services market, it is imperative that lawyers develop skills which enable them to build stronger relationships, and create value for both their organisation and their clients. The College of Legal Practice has partnered with the O Shaped Lawyer to offer a unique, practical and highly flexible course focusing on the O Shaped principles.
The O Shaped Skills course
With our O Shaped Skills course you can expect:
Who is it for?
Aspiring solicitors who are studying for the SQE and junior professionals, with a degree, working in a professional services environment.
Runs over 12 weeks, with 15 hours of study per week.
Runs over 6-8 weeks, with 30 hours of study per week.
20 Credits at Level 7
How to apply:
Applications are open for courses starting in November 2022.
LLM in Legal Practice:
The standalone O Shaped Skills course can also be taken as part of an LLM in Legal Practice. The O Shaped Skills module is one of the College’s Transactional & Business Skills Modules offered in the LLM in Legal Practice alongside modules that prepare students to take the SQE.
The College of Legal Practice is the only organisation that offers SQE preparation alongside transactional and O Shaped modules in a LLM in Legal Practice, giving an excellent, rounded platform for newly qualified solicitors.
You can find out more about the LLM in Legal Practice on the dedicated course page.
A O SHAPED APPROACH CAN:
Drive business growth
Build stronger teams
Future-proof your organisation
Use SQE as an opportunity
The results are in - O Shaped pilot
In June, The College tested two units with 14 junior legal professionals at different early stages in their career, this is what they had to say:
- 93% found the learning portal easy to understand and use
- 86% found the learning activities and tasks aligned to the learning outcomes for the unit
- 86% found the 121 supervision and feedback helpful
- 93% would recommend the o shaped skills module to others
After taking the pilot course, the participants provided excellent feedback, they:
- Enjoyed the range of resources and activities and valued the written feedback and the feedback in the 121 meeting
- Recognised a strong link between their learning and reflection and how this enabled them to meet the learning outcomes
- All recognised how developing an o shaped mind-set, and o shaped skills and attributes could help them in their own career
Based on the student feedback the team are have made the minor improvements to communications, captions and task instructions necessary to further enhance the learning experience.
The definition of success is changing in the legal landscape.
To be successful, legal services need lawyers who are not only highly knowledgeable and educated in law, but individuals who can demonstrate a broad range of human and business skills to enable them to best service their clients’ needs. To understand customer centricity, to innovate and to create value for your clients and customers - lawyers need to be well rounded – or O Shaped.
What do we mean by this?
- An O Shaped lawyer brings value to customers through an optimistic mindset, originality and strong relationship building.
- An O Shaped lawyer is self-aware and advocates for diversity, good mental health and innovation.
- An O Shaped lawyer sees opportunities, drives their business forward, and has a constant desire to learn.
- The O Shaped Skills course with The College of Legal Practice is the only course specifically designed around these real-world principles - helping future lawyers to drive business success by putting people and clients first.
We've worked closely with Dan Kayne (Founder of the O Shaped Lawyer) and experienced GCs to develop a unique practical and skills-focused course that covers all the O Shaped competencies at a Masters standard. It is flexible and online by design, so working legal professionals can study alongside their day jobs.
Get ready for new skills for a new world. Find out more about our O Shaped Skills training today.
Dan Kayne: Founder of the O Shaped Lawyer
Dan’s experience as General Counsel for the Regions team at Network Rail drove his desire to advocate for the importance of a holistic approach to legal success – encompassing both technical excellence and genuine value.
We have partnered with Dan Kayne and the O Shaped Lawyer to ensure that the course we are offering is specifically designed around the core O Shaped principles. Working together, we hope to provide a platform for students to apply their legal knowledge to real world client scenarios - setting them up for confidently tackling future challenges.
"When O Shaped started as a movement back in 2019, we always felt the modernisation of legal education was an essential step in creating a more progressive profession and could set the next generation of lawyers up for a successful career in an increasingly complex and ever-changing legal landscape."
Dan Kayne, Founder of the O Shaped Lawyer